Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Jof#7; The Grunt Work

Here's the breakdowns for Jack of Fables #7. If there was something that best describe this process of drawing a comic, I would say that it's very similar to that part of a dream were you're running in slow-motion. Plus it makes my brain hurt. But fortunately both Bill and Matt are seasoned writers (Mmm, Nutmeg?) and know how to write for the medium. I have to do VERY little when it comes to laying out what's written. Bill, alone, is one of the most polished writers in the business; his first drafts take very little tweaking for final approval. Combined, Bill and Matt are terrific to work with. It's so cool that I have CO-Writers! They should smoke pipes and shit. Yes, sometimes I'll fore go the thumbnail sketch for the "promissory note"(see page 24). If I could only get the readers to go for that...











4 comments:

Matthew Sturges said...

Sorry I wrote the eight-panel montage page; I did it just to frustrate and confuse you, and yet you executed it masterfully. My hat is off to you, sir!

Unknown said...

you're the first in my entire history of blog-reading to receive one of my comments, so i apologize if the fanity is too much. i just wanted to say that i am head-over-heels in love with the artwork in Jack of Fables. every issue blows my mind. & i adore the 4th-wall breakdown. that last panel in #8 where mopey Jack finds out he's the heir and whirls around to leer at the reader? ...got a big whoop of glee and an elevated pulse from me. bravo!

Tony Akins said...

Joselyn,
thank you so much for your kind words and your elevated pulse rate! Hope to keep Jack all the Jack that Jack can be!
I do it for you!
:~)

Tony Akins said...

Frustrate away Mr. Sturges! Mwhahahaha!