Sunday, August 05, 2007

SDCC 2007, Pt. 6: Oedipussy

I follow Bill Willingham and Joey C. as the Fables gaggle skirts the marina on it's way to the Vertigo Panel.


Doctor Venture (or is it "Professor"?) and that really limber Russian assassin that Brock keeps boning. Can't stop, got a panel to make!



Audience members still think that the panel members take the stage graciously; nuh-uh. In truth, it's a barely controlled, ego/status driven bolt for the seat with a working microphone AND water pitcher positioned conveniently nearby. A plus if it's center-stage. To hell with where the handlers place the nameplates; cause that shit gets shifted! Seriously. I mean, who-the-phuck-am-I?... and notice that I'm right on the stage after Karen Berger? Notice the blurring image? That's action, man! I'm sure I'm stepping over a trodden-on Brian K. Vaughan, or a flattened Matt Wagner. It's the quick and the microphone-less! God help anyone of us should we get comfortable and Neil shows! It's mid-echelon creator ass-to-floor, then. For the record; I'd gladly give up my seat for Neil.


Again, a nice opportunity to marry some shots together...*ahem*



The place fills up nicely...


Bill, did you notice this guy with the eye-patch?


The beautiful, intelligent Karen Berger helms the panel. Apparently GRENDL Creator, Matt Wagner (second from right) has made it to a seat unscathed.


Brian K.V. and Pia Guerra receive questions.


Brian Azzarello (against wall, standing), Bill W., the lovely G. Willow Wilson, with Bucky just beyond.


Panel's over. I have to say that even with all the awesomeness gathered in that room, Fables and Jack of Fables received the loudest applause! I'm a lucky, lucky man to hold with such a crew!
Here's some buildings as seen from the Convention stairway.


Outside, Matt and I run into a friend of mine from Chicago; Tom of Graham Cracker Comics in Lincoln Park. Matt is completely underwhelmed until I mention that "this is 'Comic-Shop Mike', man!". THEN the lights go on! Tom served as the inspiration for one of Aubrey's pals in the Vegas arch of Jack of Fables.


Later that evening, Matador and I head down to the restaurant selected for the Eisner Nominees of Vertigo Dinner hosted by Karen Berger.


Letter Jedi, Eisner Magnet Todd Klein and Jack of Fables' inker, Andrew Pepoy arrive.


At the table everyone listens for the specials...


"...Shrimp Polenta, Shrimp Gumbo, Shrimp Platter, Shrimp Ice Cream...."


Gwen and James Jean were RAVENOUS! I mean...That's MY plate! James isn't moving his lips, but I swear that I heard his voice in my head say, "You really want to loose an arm over this pastry? 'Cause, I don't even have to get out of this chair; Gwen can take you like a chocolate-covered communion wafer on Easter Sunday, my friend."


Who the hell let Will Dennis in?


Bucky and Karen Berger.


Steve Leialoha chats with DAVID LLOYD! Why there's not a "SIR" in front of that is beyond me.


Illustrator, Eisner Magnet James Jean and the Matador. Matt sidles up for an interception, "Maybe they'll throw an award at him and he won't notice! You got a Sharpie on you?"


I gave the adorable Gwen Jean a wide berth while she was near the chocolate and armed.


Dinner was splendid. After dashing on the check (K.B's idea), we're now entering the
hall where the Eisner Awards are in progress! What's going to happen? WTFK?


h.e.

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

See that camera in the middle of this one?

http://bp2.blogger.com/_8Uh3dlJETEg/RromxZMFbZI/AAAAAAAAAwA/A-8BR3WG2ok/s1600-h/from_stageB.JPG

That's what gives me photos like this one:

http://www.7thsign.com/~izzy/gallery/sdcc07/P1140668

But I like this one better, as fuzzy as it is:

http://www.7thsign.com/~izzy/gallery/sdcc07/P1140722

ps - you're supposed to email me ;)

- Adrienne

Barry Crain said...

I'm in Man-Love with Steve Leialoha's hair.
And I feel the same way about Rick Baker.
It's teh ghey!

Tony Akins said...

Touche', Adrienne!
I haven't even gone through the cards in my wallet yet! But YOU are the first of TWO emails flying from these fingers!
Thanks for the photo links; I must have been having a great time!

Bar, man-love if fine; just look at Jack Lord and that precipice of hair he nurtured.

Ian McCloud said...

Hey Man,

I dig all your comics and pictures (James Jean is probably my favorite illustrator). I have been a fan of your comics for a long time and I know a guy from my hometown that you might know, Andy Nugent? He was one of my best friends in high school and we always used to do comics together. Anyway, Keep up the good work and such. I've posted some of my artwork on my blog if you want to check it out. I just made it so theres not much on there.