Thursday, October 11, 2007

...And THEN, There Was A Band Called "A Flock Of SEAGULLS"


This is wild...Paul Mounts just emailed this over. Back in the mid-1980's we worked together at a studio, The Storyboard Studio. Wow, look at that tennis sweater I'm wearing. During the day I was always trying to score preppy chicks...at night I'd stalk artbabes. Neither would have anything much to do with me. How you like me now, ladies? Lenin DelSol, Doug Heinlein, and the not-dead JJ Stadaema are in this photo.
Paul Mounts has crouched down behind me. Roy Hunt is kicking him. There was loads of kicking in those days. We worked really fucking hard 6-7 days a week. We were princes on North Michigan Avenue. Strange that Paul would send this to me this week...whenever I'm stressing (as I am now), these are the people and the location in time and geography that make up my dreams.
Weird.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh god. i'm still in black toto!!! what mighty chick magnets we is! A little past FOS tho...1983:

1. Every Breath You Take, Police
2. Billie Jean, Michael Jackson
3. Flashdance... What A Feelin, Irene Cara
4. Down Under, Men At Work
5. Beat It, Michael Jackson
6. Total Eclipse Of The Heart, Bonnie Tyler
7. Maneater, Daryl Hall and John Oates
8. Baby Come To Me, Patti Austin
9. Maniac, Michael Sembello
10. Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This), Eurythmics
11. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me, Culture Club
12. You And I, Eddie Rabbitt and Crystal Gayle
13. Come On Eileen, Dexy's Midnight Runners
14. Shame On The Moon, Bob Seger
15. She Works Hard For The Money, Donna Summer
16. Never Gonna Let You Go, Sergio Mendes
17. Hungry Like The Wolf, Duran Duran
18. Let's Dance, David Bowie
19. Twilight Zone, Golden Earring
20. I Know There's Something Going On, Frida

i remember seeing the Eurythmics on the 3 giant screens on the Metro stage with the stage smoke rolling. So close, so far. (who the hell is/was Frida?)

-dougola

ShojinStudios said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!! This is awesome!! This is what it's all about, I hope we can all have memories like these. I remember when we first met you Tony at Marwen you had a similar doo, but you had the artbabemagnet style going full force. Sweeeeet post!

Norm Dwyer said...

It still freaks me out that I coulda been working with all you guys back in the day. If only John Ortman was just willing to pay me! He gave me the "you're good, but you'll have to work for a couple of months for free until you learn the house style" line. LOL. Needless to say I passed on his generous offer. But in hindsight, meeting all you guys several years later I wish i could have had the opportunity to work with all of you.

arnie said...

yesssss. you truly are a artist of passion, and culture. it's coll to take a look back at where it started... thanks for sharin'.

Anonymous said...

Nice sweater. Sure you didn't fall off a limo in Bel-Air? =)

Barry Crain said...

Unreal.
Tony, The esteemed J. Ortman was the first guy who interviewed me when I was considering moving to Chicago in early '84...I just barely (sic) missed being part of your '80's backdrop. Thank G-hod, 'cause I've heard some Ortman stories...